|September 24, 2009
This month’s Food and Wine Pairing feature from our Newsletter is ...
Arugula and Spinach Salad with seared Portobello Mushroom and Blue Cheese, served with Merlot
3 large Portobello Mushrooms
1 large red Onion
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 bunch Arugula
1 bunch Spinach
½ cup crumbled Blue Cheese (try a Bavarian Montagnolo or Roquefort or any other one preferred)
- Wash and dry the Arugula and Spinach and place in your serving bowl.
- Slice the Red Onion into about ¼” rings
- Brush and slice the Portobello Mushrooms into about ¼” slices
- In a heavy sauce pan (or even a wok) heat about 2 tbsp of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fry the Red Onion slices until almost caramalized (dark brown on the edges)
Keep the heat high, but watch it does not burn. Remove and place aside in a bowl.
- Add 2 more tbsp of the Extra Virgin Oil and add the sliced Portobello Mushrooms.
Sauté on medium high heat. The mushrooms will soak up the oil and brown well. Make sure not to crowd the mushrooms or they won’t brown.
- Add the caramelized onions to the mushrooms. Make sure the heat is still medium high to high. Toss together for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the Balsamic Vinegar and remove from heat. Toss the onions and mushrooms together again while scraping off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remaining Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the Onions and Mushrooms on top of the Arugula and Spinach and drizzle the Balsamic Vinegar and Olive oil reduction from the pan over the salad. Lightly toss together.
- Top the salad with the crumbled Blue Cheese and enjoy!